I want the score and remaining life to be visible and simple for anyone. I cannot do something fancy because of budget constrains and lack of research really.
I've played around with some GUI pixel art icons that I've found on Dribble.
I've always fancied Bomberman style HUD because it's simple to read:
1. life - is represented by a heart with a number overlayed
2. character - is represented by an avatar icon
3. points - are clearly visible in a border delimited area black on white text
4. time - represented by an alarm clock and large thin font
5. second player - the HUD is mirrored and the availability is represented by a large thin font text saying "PUSH START"
Full video logs: